Saturday, April 26, 2008

TH IT at Malaysia Water Festival - Labuan

Labuan Water Festival
25 to 27 Apri 08


After the Langkawi Water Fest, we were very happy to continue to work with our client to set up media centre at Labuan.

We were ordered to deliver 10 notebooks, 1 fax, 1 copier and 1 printer plus the setting up of the media centre with internet access.


Creative packing

Since I will be going with the client alone and we made a special arrangement with our agent in Labuan for the fax, copier and printer. Whereas all the notebooks and networking equipment will be hand carried myself. The question is HOW? What is the best method?

After we got our order confirmation, we have only 1 day left to prepare. All our notebooks are already ready because our normal work flow procedure will always get them ready after every rental job. But do we still have enough time to get a shipping agent to do for us? Will all the cargo be able to arrive Labuan on time on 24 Apr 08?

Worried of the shipping problem to Pattaya will repeat, I decided the best approach is hand carry myself. However, to hand carry, I have to change our packing method. Last year we packed to Dubai, we use the HP 17” CRT monitor box. Each box can only put in 3 laptop with the laptop bags, that means I will have to handle 4 of those big bulky boxes myself, plus my own luggage it will be more! That is too many for me to handle!

Well, I have been thinking, we don’t really need to bring the laptop bag right? All the notebooks will be set up at the media centre and there will not be any movement required. So I bought a customize hard carrying case and 1 roll of bubble bag.

We wrapped the notebook with the bubble bag and arranged them side by side in that carrying case. So we managed to put in 11 units notebooks in just 1 carrying case complete with all the power cables, power adapters, 1 streamyx modem, 1 wireless router, 1 24 ports switch, 13 network cables. The size of the case is approximately 74 cm (L) x 38cm (W)x 47 cm(H)! We packed the rest of the power extensions required in a small 17” LCD monitor box. Wah la! We were so happy because my target was achieved to limit my luggage to 3 only!

Hiccups at the LCCT terminal

Morning 6.45 am 24 Apr 08, we were checking in at the LCCT terminal. After we have placed the case with 11 notebooks inside on the weighing belt at the check in counter, it weighs 54 kg! The check in operator told us,

Take note everybody: Max load per bag allowed to check in to the air craft

“Max load for each luggage is limited to 32 kg! I would not allow you to check this in. This luggage should be sent by cargo service!”

Alamak, what is this? Something that I worried happened. When I made my ticket booking, I was trying to find out is there any max limit to the weight and size of the luggage we can carry. I search all over the web site of Air Asia and don’t find any clue of this tiny piece of information. Since I was very busy the night before, I gave up and proceed to do some other important thing(One of my relative pass away).

“This information is printed in the terms and conditions section when you purchase the ticket online.” Soft spoken operator told me. “May be you don’t read it carefully in detail, but I really can’t check you in!”

Printed in small letter and arranged in a very boring text mode, I guess many people will click “Yes, I have read the terms and conditions and I accept.” Without actually reading it. After all you have to accept it in order for you to buy your ticket online, that leaves you with no choice at all so why border reading it!” So I am one of these people (next time should read all the terms and conditions carefully) I was trying to search this information all over the AirAsia’s web site but couldn’t get and yet it is hiding inside the terms and conditions section.

I don’t want to blame AirAsia for this but I just think for a better presentation of CRITICAL information, it should be high lighted and make it very obvious and very eye catchy. For something which I have learnt “What is common knowledge to one not necessarily so for the others. Therefore you can’t assume everybody know what he is suppose to know. So if somebody asks you a weird question, you have to answer that politely or display it clearly especially if this information is so important if violated one will not be able to proceed further!” For example, nowadays we cannot bring any liquid base product into the aircraft and this message is highlighted very clearly every where in the airport and in the website but just not this one on max weight. May be so far, they don’t have so much problem on passenger trying to carry 50 kgs goods in one case and trying to check in, but isn't this information so important that if one can't solve this problem on the spot, like what I have experienced, his whole schedule will be affected.

So, I have to deal with the unexpected incident very quickly because we don’t have much time left. The suggestion offered by the operator was, check in the case in the afternoon cargo flight. To do that it means I have to stay back and reschedule the equipment deliveries and there is still a lot of things to settle, full of uncertainty and the goods may only reach mid night or may reach on 25 April 2008, by which time we will not be able to meet the targeted set up date line.

But the operator’s word, “Max 32 kg per case” gave me a clue, I just need to reduce the weight but I didn’t bring any extra case! Luckily the chocolate shop in the airport has nice and relatively solid case for sale. I quickly rush to the shop (2 times), pleading emergency I bag the pardon of the queued customers to let me pay first, I finally got 2 bags and manage to check in all except for the last bag which I got in the second time. Luckily I still can hand carry that one into the cabin.

For Malaysia Water Festival Website: http://www.malaysiawaterfestival.com/
For Langkawi Water Festival photo gallery
For Labuan Water Festival photo gallery
For profeesional computer rental services: http://www.th-it.com/


Photo gallery:











Round Island Kayaking Champion