Thursday, January 10, 2008

HMA 2007 at Pattaya Thailand

We got the confirmation

Early August 2007, we received a confirmed order to provide our rental services to Pattaya Thailand for an important international conference, i.e. The Hospital Management Asia 2007.

This is really a very exciting news for all of us because for the first time not only we are supplying the required computers and projectors oversea but we have to be there to set up, manage and standby.

For this important event, I have the obligation to oversee things are all done properly myself and hence on 21 Aug 07, I flew to Bangkok and from there I took a cab to Pattaya City.

Knowing that general Thai people don't speak English, I am expecting some communication problem. However their kindness, hospitality and friendliness helps to resolve my problem easily.

Once arrive at Pattaya, only then I realized the hotel I booked through www.sawade.com is located right in the centre of the red light zone! It is about 5 km from Dusit Resort where the conference will be held. To solve my transportation problem, I engaged a motorcycle rider to be my private driver.




Logistic problem


Our initial plan was to transport all the required computers and projectors from Malaysia to Pattaya by land, upon my arrival there I am expecting the cargo to arrive Dusit Resort the next day. This perfect arrangement is hurdle by the poor documentation done by the freight forwarding agent and cargo was stuck at the Malaysian Thai custom office at the border. Luckily with the kind assistance of Dusit Resort's banquet manager, I was able to get some local contact to supply all the required PC, projectors and copier. I think I have made a right decision to cancel the shipment and instructed the agent to send back all the cargo instead of keep on waiting for them to try to solve the problem. By cancelling the shipment and get from local supplier, the organiser and I have eliminated one big headache and the cargo sent back to TH IT's warehouse was just right in time for another round of peak order.

Here I would like to express my sincere thanks to Khun Pin, the banquet manager, Khun Yin the computer and projector supplier and Khun Jiwarat, the copier supplier for their kind assistance and support. I also would like to thank the organiser for their understanding and patience.


The conference

After the secretariat is set up, our biggest headache was finally over! Then after everything run quite smoothly without any further problem. I took 2 days off to go to Bangkok to look for some accessories the local supplier didn't has. There, I managed to make a short trip in Bangkok since this is my first tour to Thailand!

Upon returned to Pattaya, the conference resort is slowly overwhelm by the big crowd of about 600 plus delegates. The atmosphere seemed suddenly felt more lively with human heat. In just a moment, we set up the speaker room, breakout rooms, internet cafe.

Below I like to share with a short video.





Testimony




August 30 & 31, 2007 Dusit Resort, Pattaya , Thailand

Dear Mr. Lee,

Thank you for being a part and friend of the recently concluded Hospital Management Asia 2007 held last August 30 & 31, 2007 at the Dusit Resort, Pattaya , Thailand .

In summary, we had 604 registrations from 31 countries representing 262 hospitals. Overall, the event was extremely well received. While there are a number of areas we need to improve on, almost all participants: Delegates, Speakers, Exhibitors, Partners, Media Partners and Sponsors were generally pleased with the topics and speakers, the organization and general conduct of the event.

TH IT and its staff did a very professional job and this was both noticed and appreciated by all concerned. You are indeed a partner that can be relied on.

The entire conference committee as well as all the partners involved know that the event would not have been successful without your support. We all remain sincerely appreciative of your support. Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Dayen Tecson

Event Manager

Hospital Management Asia 2007

Lesson learnt

Through this event, our biggest problem is with the transportation of equipment and I found out it is possible to bring in equipment to other country via the International Carnet System. Many countries in the world have signed the international treaty.

Each signed country will have an office handling the application and processing it for approval. However the procedure will take about 2 to 3 weeks and therefore early confirmation and preparation is necessary.